2/2/08

Side Road: The Losers

For the past six months I have been obsessed with finding losing scratch-off lottery tickets. These things scatter the streets and it brings me great joy when I pick them up off the pavement and find one I don't have yet. I am in love with the colors, the design and the ridiculous names of the games; fuck the Guggenheim, walk down the street and you will discover some of the best art there is. I also am drawn to the people who buy these. I like to watch them desperately rub away the foil coating and observe their calm deadpan reaction to loss after loss, and then when they do win, they just get more tickets. It's as if they play to loose. These are the quick fixes for the gambling addict. Now trash on the street, but at some point these scratch-offs satisfied someone's craving. Here are some from my collection.