5/5/08

Frankenstein, Newsweek, Pigs and Vegetarians




Last week I spent the day shooting an organic pig farm for Newsweek in Frankenstein, Missouri. I have never seen animals so happy, curious and in love with the world. I truly believe it can all be attributed to organic farming. The pigs and I had a great time getting to know each other as they would follow me around nibbling on my mud boots and tripod and make it extremely difficult sometimes to get a shot off as my tripod would go wandering off in in the mouth of a 200 pound pig. By the end of the day I realized I was talking to them and they would look back at me probably thinking, "Who is this insane man?" (Pigs are smarter than any other domestic animal!) I can not speak more enthusiastically or highly about organic farming and letting animals live in their natural habitat. I actually saw these pigs laughing to themselves! Which brings into question my notorious meat eating habits. I had such a warm bond with these wild little guys and it has been creeping me out lately thinking about eating them.