1/24/09

Sounds That Eventually Turned Into Words

Lately I have really been feeling Sasha Frere-Jones' music reviews in The New Yorker. Whether it is a profile onLil Wayne or Bon Iver, Frere-Jones makes me interested and gives me reason to keep reading, I trust him and will follow him down whatever path he leads. This is good writing. From his recent profile on Bon Iver:

"It is easy to believe that his lyrics are 'sounds that eventually turned into words,' as Vernon once told an interviewer. In 'Flume,' the language works best as sound-I listened to the album a dozen times before I looked up the words. Among other things, the chorus contains the sequence 'only love is all maroon, lapping lakes like leery loons, leaving rope burns-reddish ruse.' Starting the album with some word salad turns out to work just fine, as it gives you time to adjust to the power of the singing."

I am dyslexic and hearing and listening (among many other things) have been a challenge my whole life. From listening to my mother's rules which I could never seem to get right, to all the voices all speaking at the same time at the art openings I can barely make out what the person next to me is saying into my ear: it is all just one big blur. Music has always been this way for me, one sound, and it takes great focus for me to listen to the lyrics, but when I do I hear that voice, it becomes the most intimate experience.