5/30/08

Getting Roughed Up And Kicked Out Of Your Own Party

So after the opening exhibition of 25 Under 25 Up And Coming American Photographers at NYU last night there was an after party at this club called Mansion, in which powerHouse has some sort of partnership. So at the club I saw that the book I just did with powerHouse is on the shelf of some "library" section or something. I step on the fake ass leather couch for a second to take down book I am in and flip through it. The 3 books which I was given were stolen at the opening earlier in the evening and I wanted to read the other artists quotes. Just as I open the book some tough guy bouncer rubs his fat beach muscle (he probably couldn't have done 50 push-ups if his life depended on it) chest in my face and tells me to put down the book. He continues to say that the books in the library section of the club aren't to be looked at. At first I think this guy must be joking, so I laugh and tell him that I am in this book and that's what this party tonight is for. It's like I am speaking Chinese to him and he again tells me to put the book down, so I tell him to fuck off and leave me alone. He didn't seem to like that idea very much and goes and gets five 300 pound bouncers who push and shove me around (6 feet, 170 pounds), I push them back and stand my ground for as long as I can, all my shit flies out of my pockets as we push and shove and yell at each other. They finally push me down on the couches with their elbows in my throat and I tell them I just did this book with powerHouse and they invited me to this bullshit club and all I wanted to do was look at my own book because mine were stolen at the opening and this was bullshit. They picked me up and told me to get out of the club. Yes, everyone who knows me, and even people who don't, know I can be over sensitive and an idiot sometimes, but fuck Mansion, and it is idiots like that who have destroyed the fun of going out in New York. Stick to your local dive bar folks....