6/19/08

In The Heat Of The Night




It is a great honor to have been selected as a recipient of this year's Tierney Fellowship. Past fellows include my friends and great photographers Joshua Lutz and Rian Dundon. I have been talking a lot about fear recently on this blog, my own and its roll in taking photographs. Over the course of the next year I will fly to a selection of American cities where I will land at midnight, or as close as possible. I will walk from the airport through the inner city to the city’s business and cultural center, photographing the whole journey. My long walks will not be comfortable or pleasurable and at all times there will be an element of the unexpected and unfamiliar. This tension is crucial to the work I will be doing and I envision it being one of the most challenging projects I have embarked on. I can not wait to begin! I think Chicago shall be my first stop. Look for me in the early morning hours walking the streets of your city....